Virtus Event Calendar
Each year, Virtus works with its member nations to host an extensive programme of world and regional Championship events:
- World and regional Championships – Virtus organises world, regional and smaller competitions for all of the sports on its programme. World and regionals are held on two and four year cycles depending on the sport.
- Global Games – The Global Games are held every four years and act as the World Championships for each sport featured.
- Other competitions – Virtus also recognises other competitions where the results will go towards the world rankings. They may also be recognised as part of the development of the sport. These are know as ‘sanctioned events’.
Open Event Bids
Events are awarded through an open bid process, and hosting an event can have considerable benefits for the host nation. It is a chance to showcase sport for athletes with an intellectual impairment throughout your country, a great way to build new partnerships including sponsors, the media, volunteers and supporters, and is a great way to share national traditions and culture with the rest of the world.
- 2021 World Athletics Championships – deadline for bids 1 November 2020
- 2021 World Judo Championships – deadline for bids 30th November 2020
- 2021 World Cross Country Championships – deadline for bids 18 December 2020
- 2022 European Futsal Championships – deadline for bids 30 November 2020
Bids should be made in accordance with the specification guidelines which can be found in the Virtus Policies and Procedures and you are strongly encouraged to speak to the relevant Sport Director before commencing your bid.
Virtus will work with you to develop your bid, and if successful, we will work with you at every step of the way to ensure a successful event with lasting legacy.
Four-year event cycle
As part of our growing collaboration with International Federations of sport, we are really pleased to inform you about an exciting upcoming competition opportunity for Virtus rowers.
The 2021 FISA World Rowing Virtual Indoor Championships (WRICH) take place between 23 – 27 February and athletes with an intellectual impairment, who hold Virtus international eligibility, are invited to participate in the Open Qualification Pathway (Group 3).
Athletes hoping to participate in the Finals are required to qualify over 2000m and / or 500m distances and full information, terms and conditions guide can be found here. To support as many Virtus rowers to be involved as possible, FISA have allowed scores to be lodged over the entire qualification period of 27th November 2020 – 7th February 2021.
We are delighted that France will host the 2022 World Football Championships incorporating, for the first time, a new Plate competition for up and coming nations.
Entry to the championships is by invitation (based on Virtus Football rankings) however entry to the Plate competition is open.
More information about the event will be available throughout 2021.