Virtus Event Calendar
Each year, Virtus works with its member nations to host an extensive programme of world and regional Championship events:
- World and regional Championships – Virtus organises world, regional and smaller competitions for all of the sports on its programme. World and regionals are held on two and four year cycles depending on the sport.
- Global Games – The Global Games are held every four years and act as the World Championships for each sport featured.
- Other competitions – Virtus also recognises other competitions where the results will go towards the world rankings. They may also be recognised as part of the development of the sport. These are know as ‘sanctioned events’.
Open Event Bids
Events are awarded through an open bid process, and hosting an event can have considerable benefits for the host nation. It is a chance to showcase sport for athletes with an intellectual impairment throughout your country, a great way to build new partnerships including sponsors, the media, volunteers and supporters, and is a great way to share national traditions and culture with the rest of the world.
- 2021 World Basketball Championships – deadline for bids 30th September 2020
- 2021 World Table Tennis Championships – deadline for bids 30th September 2020
- 2022 European Futsal Championships – deadline for bids 30th September 2020
- 2022 Regional Games – Asia/Oceania – deadline for bids is 31st October 2020
- 2023 Pan-American Regional Games – deadline for bids is 31st October 2020
Bids should be made in accordance with the specification guidelines which can be found in the Virtus Policies and Procedures and you are strongly encouraged to speak to the relevant Sport Director before commencing your bid.
Virtus will work with you to develop your bid, and if successful, we will work with you at every step of the way to ensure a successful event with lasting legacy.
Four-year event cycle
FISDIR, the Italian Federation of Sports for Intellectual and Relational Disabled will host the 2017 World Intellectual Impairment Sport European Half Marathon Championships in Udine – Italy, from September 16h to 17th.
The first entry deadline is 15th July 2017.
Final Entry deadline is 15th August 2017
World Intellectual Impairment Sport and FEMEDE (Federación Mexicana de Deportistas Especiales) are pleased to invite you to attend the above workshop which will take place during the 2017 World Intellectual Impairment Sport Swimming Championships. The workshop will be delivered by Professor Jan Burns MBE – Chair of the World Intellectual Impairment Sport Eligibility Committee – and is designed to help delegate understand the World Intellectual Impairment Sport athlete eligibility process.
Paris, France will host the first ever World Intellectual Impairment Sport European Championships Games in 2018. The event will consist of eight medal sports and two demonstration sports: athletics, basketball, cycling, futsal, swimming, tennis, table tennis, hockey, taekwondo (demonstration) and Pétanque (demonstration).
Cycling and tennis will act as the World Championships for those sports, with entries open to countries outside of Europe.
The Games will take in venues across Paris ahead of the 2024 Paralympic Games.
Virtus is delighted to launch the Global Challenge Series – a new series of online or virtual events to support opportunities for athletes to remain connected to their sport.
Virtus member organisations can register their expression of interest now for the Football/Futsal Challenge series – a skills challenge for any Virtus athlete who holds a minimum of a national eligibility.
Please note that entries must be submitted through the Virtus member organisation.
- Entry information and key dates
- Skills guidance and information
- Expression of interest form (Form 1a) – deadline 1st October 2020
- Participants Entry Form – deadline 25th October 2020
- Individual Score Sheet – deadline 25th October 2020