Virtus Event Calendar
Each year, Virtus works with its member nations to host an extensive programme of world and regional Championship events:
- World and regional Championships – Virtus organises world, regional and smaller competitions for all of the sports on its programme. World and regionals are held on two and four year cycles depending on the sport.
- Global Games – The Global Games are held every four years and act as the World Championships for each sport featured.
- Other competitions – Virtus also recognises other competitions where the results will go towards the world rankings. They may also be recognised as part of the development of the sport. These are know as ‘sanctioned events’.
Open Event Bids
Events are awarded through an open bid process, and hosting an event can have considerable benefits for the host nation. It is a chance to showcase sport for athletes with an intellectual impairment throughout your country, a great way to build new partnerships including sponsors, the media, volunteers and supporters, and is a great way to share national traditions and culture with the rest of the world.
- 2021 World Basketball Championships – deadline for bids 30th September 2020
- 2021 World Table Tennis Championships – deadline for bids 30th September 2020
- 2022 European Futsal Championships – deadline for bids 30th September 2020
- 2022 Regional Games – Asia/Oceania – deadline for bids is 31st October 2020
- 2023 Pan-American Regional Games – deadline for bids is 31st October 2020
Bids should be made in accordance with the specification guidelines which can be found in the Virtus Policies and Procedures and you are strongly encouraged to speak to the relevant Sport Director before commencing your bid.
Virtus will work with you to develop your bid, and if successful, we will work with you at every step of the way to ensure a successful event with lasting legacy.
Four-year event cycle
The 2019 World Intellectual Impairment Sport Athletics Cross-Country World Championships head to Poland, from 4-8 April. Featuring the world’s best athletes from all over the world, men’s and women’s events will be contested.
30.1.2019: Please note the venue for this event has changed from Ostrzeszów to Trzebnica. An updated entry pack is available from the ISMS.
Brisbane, Australia will host the 5th edition of the World Intellectual Impairment Sport Global Games – the world biggest event for elite athletes with intellectual impairments. Taking place a year after Australia hosts the Commonwealth Games, the event promises to be the biggest and best yet.
Athletes, parents, coaches and other supporters should contact their World Intellectual Impairment Sport Member Organisation regarding entry details.
World Intellectual Impairment Sport Member Organisations can submit their entry via the ISMS.
The 4th Virtus Para Dressage video competition is now open for entry until 4th October 2020. Entry is open to II1, II2 and II3 (demonstration basis)
Riders in nations without a Virtus Member Organisation should email email@example.com for assistance.
Update 17.8.20: Following consultation with the FEI (who have recently withdrawn support for any online equestrian competition), it has been necessary to implement a minor change to the test used in the 2020 Virtus para-equestrian competition.
The new test is downloadable with the entry pack and you will see a minor amendment to the halt at the end of the test (G to X for senior riders and X to G for the youth competition).
If you have already submitted your entry you are able to re-submit a new entry at no additional cost.