Virtus Event Calendar
Each year, Virtus works with its member nations to host an extensive programme of world and regional Championship events:
- World and regional Championships – Virtus organises world, regional and smaller competitions for all of the sports on its programme. World and regionals are held on two and four year cycles depending on the sport.
- Global Games – The Global Games are held every four years and act as the World Championships for each sport featured.
- Other competitions – Virtus also recognises other competitions where the results will go towards the world rankings. They may also be recognised as part of the development of the sport. These are know as ‘sanctioned events’.
Open Event Bids
Events are awarded through an open bid process, and hosting an event can have considerable benefits for the host nation. It is a chance to showcase sport for athletes with an intellectual impairment throughout your country, a great way to build new partnerships including sponsors, the media, volunteers and supporters, and is a great way to share national traditions and culture with the rest of the world.
- 2022 European Futsal Championships – deadline for bids 30 April 2021
- 2022 World Half Marathon Championships – deadline for bds 31st May 2021
Bids should be made in accordance with the specification guidelines which can be found in the Virtus Policies and Procedures and you are strongly encouraged to speak to the relevant Sport Director before commencing your bid.
Virtus will work with you to develop your bid, and if successful, we will work with you at every step of the way to ensure a successful event with lasting legacy.
Four-year event cycle
Once again, Virtus is inviting entries to its virtual championship for riders with an intellectual impairment.
To enter the event, athletes should contact their Virtus member organisation.
Entry process for member organisations – please complete all 4 steps:
- Download the entry pack
- Complete the online entry form
- Submit the entry fee using the form below
Entries close at midnight GMT on 5th October 2021. Results will be announced on 19th October 2021.
Entry fee is £55GBP per rider
Please note that, due to the high levels of coronavirus in mainland Europe, this event will be postponed until February 2022 – precise dates will be announced in October. Please contact the LOC for details.
Virtus is delighted to announce that Portugal will host the 2021 World Futsal Championships.
Virtus is pleased to announce that CBDI, Brazil will host the 2021 swimming championships in the Paralympic Training Centre in Sao Paulo.
At this time, coronavirus continues to affect many parts of Brazil. In order to assist the LOC and Virtus to plan this event, we kindly invite members to submit their ‘Intention’ form as soon as possible. However we advise that no travel or other bookings are made until the viability of the event can be confirmed by Virtus.
Following the cancellation of the 2020 World Half-Marathon Championships, the 2021 event will be both a World and European Championship.
The takes place alongside the Portuguese Half Marathon Championships and is delivered by the Portuguese Athletics Federation.