Virtus Event Calendar
Each year, Virtus works with its member nations to host an extensive programme of world and regional Championship events:
- World and regional Championships – Virtus organises world, regional and smaller competitions for all of the sports on its programme. World and regionals are held on two and four year cycles depending on the sport.
- Global Games – The Global Games are held every four years and act as the World Championships for each sport featured.
- Other competitions – Virtus also recognises other competitions where the results will go towards the world rankings. They may also be recognised as part of the development of the sport. These are know as ‘sanctioned events’.
Open Event Bids
Events are awarded through an open bid process, and hosting an event can have considerable benefits for the host nation. It is a chance to showcase sport for athletes with an intellectual impairment throughout your country, a great way to build new partnerships including sponsors, the media, volunteers and supporters, and is a great way to share national traditions and culture with the rest of the world.
- 2020 World Indoor Rowing Championships – deadline for bids 28th February 2020
- 2021 World Athletics Championships – deadline for bids 31st January 2020
- 2021 World Futsal Championships – deadline for bids 31st March 2020
- 2021 World Tennis Championships – deadline for bids 16th February 2020
- 2021 World Cycling Championships – deadline for bids 31st May 2020
- 2022 European Futsal Championships – deadline for bids 30th September 2020
Bids should be made in accordance with the specification guidelines which can be found in the Virtus Policies and Procedures and you are strongly encouraged to speak to the relevant Sport Director before commencing your bid.
Virtus will work with you to develop your bid, and if successful, we will work with you at every step of the way to ensure a successful event with lasting legacy.
The 2019 World Intellectual Impairment Sport Athletics Cross-Country World Championships head to Poland, from 4-8 April. Featuring the world’s best athletes from all over the world, men’s and women’s events will be contested.
30.1.2019: Please note the venue for this event has changed from Ostrzeszów to Trzebnica. An updated entry pack is available from the ISMS.
World Intellectual Impairment Sport is pleased to sanction the 2019 National Partnership Swimming Competition for swimmers in Great Britain.
Note: For records and rankings to be validated by World Intellectual Impairment Sport, swimmers must hold an International Eligibility registration (ie. appear on the World Intellectual Impairment Sport Master List) and a valid competition licence at the time of the competition.
Brisbane, Australia will host the 5th edition of the World Intellectual Impairment Sport Global Games – the world biggest event for elite athletes with intellectual impairments. Taking place a year after Australia hosts the Commonwealth Games, the event promises to be the biggest and best yet.
Athletes, parents, coaches and other supporters should contact their World Intellectual Impairment Sport Member Organisation regarding entry details.
World Intellectual Impairment Sport Member Organisations can submit their entry via the ISMS.