Virtus Event Calendar
Each year, Virtus works with its member nations to host an extensive programme of world and regional Championship events:
- World and regional Championships – Virtus organises world, regional and smaller competitions for all of the sports on its programme. World and regionals are held on two and four year cycles depending on the sport.
- Global Games – The Global Games are held every four years and act as the World Championships for each sport featured.
- Other competitions – Virtus also recognises other competitions where the results will go towards the world rankings. They may also be recognised as part of the development of the sport. These are know as ‘sanctioned events’.
Open Event Bids
Events are awarded through an open bid process, and hosting an event can have considerable benefits for the host nation. It is a chance to showcase sport for athletes with an intellectual impairment throughout your country, a great way to build new partnerships including sponsors, the media, volunteers and supporters, and is a great way to share national traditions and culture with the rest of the world.
- 2022 World Half Marathon Championships – deadline for bids 31st October 2021
- 2022 World Cross Country Championships – deadline for bids 31st October 2021
Bids should be made in accordance with the specification guidelines which can be found in the Virtus Policies and Procedures and you are strongly encouraged to speak to the relevant Sport Director before commencing your bid.
Virtus will work with you to develop your bid, and if successful, we will work with you at every step of the way to ensure a successful event with lasting legacy.
Four-year event cycle
Virtus is delighted to launch the Global Challenge Series – a new series of online or virtual events to support opportunities for athletes to remain connected to their sport.
The Swimming Challenge is open to all Virtus athletes and gives you a chance to swim the world! Simply upload your swim training data and plot your progress against our selected stages.
Fees/Virtus Competition Licence
There is no fee to enter the event but please note that all athletes should hold an active Virtus competition licence. License status can be checked on the Master List.
To renew a licence for 1 year and for multi-year options, please use the website payment below.
As part of our growing collaboration with International Federations of sport, we are really pleased to inform you about an exciting upcoming competition opportunity for Virtus rowers.
The 2021 FISA World Rowing Virtual Indoor Championships (WRICH) take place between 23 – 27 February and athletes with an intellectual impairment, who hold Virtus international eligibility, are invited to participate in the Open Qualification Pathway (Group 3).
Athletes hoping to participate in the Finals are required to qualify over 2000m and / or 500m distances and full information, terms and conditions guide can be found here. To support as many Virtus rowers to be involved as possible, FISA have allowed scores to be lodged over the entire qualification period of 27th November 2020 – 7th February 2021.
World Sailing and Virtus have joined forces to organise an eSailing challenge on Virtual Regatta, the world-leading digital sailing platform.
Held on Saturday 6 March 2021, this challenge will allow budding eSailors to play in an inclusive environment, and help to promote Para sailing within the Virtus community.
The eSailing challenge on Virtual Regatta Inshore will be open to all athletes holding a Virtus national eligibility, with racing taking place across the day to cater for different timezones. The event will be governed by the rules as defined in The Virtual Racing Rules of Sailing (VRRS) found here, and regarding scoring the Low Point System will apply.
How to take part in the event:
1. Register on Virtual Regatta and make a note of your Sailor registration name
2. Sign up to the Virtus registration form below
3. Attend virtual sailing school (which can be done as many times as you like)
4. Attend the race on 6th March 2021 – please note both times are GMT.
Sign up for the event here:
Once again, Virtus is inviting entries to its virtual championship for riders with an intellectual impairment.
To enter the event, athletes should contact their Virtus member organisation.
Entry process for member organisations – please complete all 4 steps:
- Download the entry pack
- Complete the online entry form
- Submit the entry fee using the form below
Entries close at midnight GMT on 5th October 2021. Results will be announced on 19th October 2021.
Entry fee is £55GBP per rider